When planning a sightseeing tour of London, Kensington has some of the most famous spots to see on your visit.
Kensington Palace has served as home to many princes and princesses over the past 300 years and rivals the popularity of Buckingham Palace. The residential portion of the palace is private, but visitors can tour select areas to explore the luxury of daily life as a royal.
The palace is located on the edge of a high-end London borough (neighborhood) known as the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. The district is best known for its luxury boutiques and foreign embassies. The streets are lined with upscale townhomes and houses occupied by some of the wealthiest London residents. Borough of Kensington and Chelsea is London’s smallest borough and it is one of only three with royal status.
What to See When Touring Kensington On Your Sightseeing Tour of London
Kensington Palace and the surrounding Kensington Gardens are two of the prominent attractions in the Kensington and Chelsea borough. There are also some great parks and green spaces within the neighborhood, including Holland Park, Diana Memorial Playground, and Queen’s Gate Gardens. If you have the time, try to spend a few days and visit them all.
Some of the must-see attractions on a sightseeing tour of London in Kensington:
- Royal Albert Hall – This grade I historic building is open for tours, but you can also book tickets for a live event. It’s one of the leading entertainment venues in London and has featured everything from operas and musicals to seances. You never know what you’ll catch on the stage at this iconic performance hall, so check in advance for tickets once you finalize your travel dates.
- Natural History Museum – Discover the natural world with exhibits that may cover everything from dinosaurs and space to creatures of the ocean and theories regarding evolution. Learn about plants, animals, and the universe that brings us all together. Make sure to visit the park on the front lawn and perhaps take a spin on the ice skating rink in the winter.
- Notting Hill Farmers Market – This market is located between Notting Hill and Kensington, just south of Notting Hill Gate. It’s open every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. regardless of the weather.
- John’s Church – This stunning church is an architectural marvel that brings many admirers snapping pictures every year. Take the time to cross the street and view all sides of the building if you’re interested in restored historic buildings.
For even more sightseeing options, extend your tour of Kensington to include nearby Chelsea and Notting Hill. Just walking the streets will give you views of many high-end residential areas, and there are so many restaurants and boutiques to enjoy.
Booking a Kensington Sightseeing Tour of London
If you want to book a tour of London that stops at the biggest attractions and provides expert narration that keeps all members of the family entertained, look into Kensington Tours. This tour group provides guided tours to destinations around the world, and their London sightseeing tours are some of the best options for families.
This tour group allows you to sign up for pre-designed itineraries or create your own with the guidance of professional travel experts. Your London sightseeing tour will cover major attractions like Kensington Palace and Buckingham Palace while allowing you to explore some of the more scenic outdoor recreation areas and entertainment venues.
When you customize a London tour with Kensington Tours, you’ll have the option of skipping the line at some of the most popular attractions and following an experienced guide through some of the most noteworthy historic attractions. Every point on your itinerary is selected with the needs and interests of your family in mind.
If you want the most cost-effective option, select from one of the established itineraries. Some of the most popular sightseeing tour of London options include:
- London Discovery – A 5-day London tour that includes stops at the biggest attractions with some outdoor recreation in the mix. It’s the best of London in under one week.
- England Family Fun – This 7-day tour is centered on London and leads families through some of the most interesting regions of England.
- London & Paris Discovery – Spend seven days exploring London and Paris with stopping points at all the best attractions.
The benefit to booking a London sightseeing tour with Kensington Tours is the convenience of having an itinerary created for you. That’s a good option if you don’t have the time or desire to research things to do in London and create a detailed trip timeline that allows you to visit the best historic sites, explore the parks and green spaces, and visit the best restaurants, tea rooms and cafés.
If you prefer to create your own itinerary before traveling, the Kensington area is just a starting point. Explore connecting Chelsea and Notting Hill then add in the Royal palaces, theme parks, gardens, entertainment venues, and restaurants throughout central London. Your London adventure awaits.
- Top 10 Best Sightseeing Places in London with Kids
- 10 Kid-Friendly London Attractions You Can’t Miss